At Whitelands Academy, the education we provide is guided by values of integrity, resilience, respect, ambition, and tolerance. These values are particularly important to us as we develop the students into lifelong learners and prepare them for a life beyond school.
We are an 11-18, non-selective academy where everyone — staff and students — strives to be the best they can be. Our aim is simple: we are dedicated to excellence. We will provide a warm and welcoming community in which everyone participates to make a positive contribution. The language spoken is about aiming to be the best we can be. Teachers will be unrelenting and ensure there are no limits or barriers to student achievement. We will work to ensure students enjoy their school lives and are proud of their school. Every decision we make has the students’ best interests at the core.
Expectations are high, and we will create a culture whereby our students’ approach to the community and learning is fantastic. At Whitelands, the small things matter, and it is these marginal gains that impact on the holistic educational experience on offer. We encourage participation in a wide range of educational and life-enriching activities, finding a variety of ways to celebrate success and individuality. By the time students finish their education with us, they will have been challenged academically and nurtured into fine young adults.
Whitelands’ curriculum embraces everything the students experience at school. Our fundamental aim is to meet the individual needs of all students across the full ability range by delivering a differentiated and supported curriculum that sets high expectations, encourages active learning, delivers academic success, and builds self-worth.
More specifically, the chief aims of the education provided by lessons, extended work, and curriculum enrichment activities are as follows:
- To help all students achieve their full potential in all areas of learning and experience, through a broad and balanced curriculum that is differentiated according to the varying ability and motivational needs of the students;
- To help all students secure the maximum possible success in public examinations;
- To help students develop a wide range of mental attributes that will advantage them in their chosen career and aid them in the development of their learning throughout their lives;
- To help students acquire a wide range of physical and practical skills and to help them utilise those skills in a variety of different contexts;
- To engender in students a love of learning for its own sake, helping them to recognise the pleasure and enjoyment that can be gained from the acquisition of new knowledge and understanding and the development of new skills;
- To help students develop such qualities of character and personality as will help them to take their place as active citizens in a pluralistic, multicultural, democratic society;
- To help students develop an awareness of moral values, to recognise the existence of moral values other than their own, and to respect the moral values implicit in the ethos of the school;
- To help students acquire knowledge and skills that will contribute to their development as mature adults, helping to prepare them for their future lives at home, at work, at leisure, and in continuing education;
- To create a curriculum that allows for progression and continuity within and between key stages and which is coherently implemented and organised;
- To facilitate equality of access to the curriculum for all students;
- To teach the curriculum through a wide variety of teaching styles and through the creation of learning situations appropriate to the needs of the students;
- To create an environment that is conducive to learning, where students feel free to adopt a positive attitude toward their education, and where all forms of success and achievement are recognised and celebrated.
Whitelands Academy is to be set in a brand-new, specially designed building that empowers our staff to effectively deliver the school's diverse curriculum. Our school will boast state-of-the-art facilities, both inside and outside the building. These unique provisions have been built to support and enrich the learning of our students.
Children who attend Whitelands Academy will utilise specialist facilities as part of their everyday learning. Lessons in subjects including DT, art, drama, and P.E. will make use of these facilities in order to improve the quality and efficacy of teaching and learning.
The Whitelands Academy site will include:
- 26 State-of-the-Art Classrooms
- Special Educational Needs Provisions
- A Well-kept Garden
- A Four-Court Sports Hall with Changing Facilities
- External Social Spaces, Including Allotments
- Quiet, Peaceful Outdoor Areas
- Sports Pitches for Rugby, Hockey, and Football
- A Multi-use Games Area
- A Drama Studio Linked to the Main Hall
- A Dining Area with Access to Covered Seating Areas
- Parking for Cars and Cycles